Blake M. Ashbee serves as Chief Operating Officer for Long & Long having a long and distinguished career in both public service and the private sector. Prior to coming to the firm, Blake served as the Presidentially appointed Chief of Staff for the Environmental Protection Agency, Region 4, where he worked with the environmental programs of eight southeastern states to further the agency’s vital mission of protecting human health and the environment. There he oversaw the senior executive leadership and over 800 career staff with a budget of approximately one billion dollars.
Before his appointment to the agency, he worked as an attorney and lobbyist in Atlanta, GA for two international law firms where his practice focused on state and local government affairs. Blake’s experience included leading efforts before the Georgia General Assembly for passage of key legislative priorities. He was appointed by former Georgia Governor Nathan Deal to serve as Executive Director of the Governor’s Office of Workforce Development where he oversaw workforce investment activities and spearheaded Georgia’s skilled trade initiative – Go Build Georgia. Blake also served in Governor Deal’s administration as Deputy Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Executive Counsel. In addition to his experience at the state level, Blake has served in senior advisory roles to members of U.S. Congress and as a Presidential appointee at the U.S. Department of Energy, as well as with Fortune 500 companies.
Blake has served on the Georgia Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, the Georgia Chamber Government Affairs Council, as Vice Chair of the Chamber Energy and Environment Policy Committee, and on the Partnership Council for the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education. He previously served on the Judicial Nominating Commission having been appointed by Governor Deal and on the Board of Directors for Great Promise Partnership.
Awards & Accolades
- Listed, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Top players in Georgia legislative session, 2016, 2017
- Listed, James Magazine, “Top Law Firms,” Georgia’s Top Lobbyists & Associations, 2015, 2016
- “Top Male Lobbyists,” 2016
- “Rising Stars,” 2015
Professional & Community Involvement
- Former Commissioner, State of Georgia Judicial Nominating Commission (Appointed by Governor Nathan Deal)
- Past Board Member, Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Past Board Member, Great Promise Partnership
- Partnership Council Member, Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education
- J.D., The University of Alabama School of Law
- M.B.A., The University of Alabama, Manderson School of Business
- B.S., Marketing, University of Alabama